College Board Accommodations Info's picture

A recent edition of MDE's Spotlight on Assessment and Accountability has some great information about accommodations including guidance on handling extended testing time for students and submitting changes to accommodations. If you have a new student in your school who had been approved for accommodations at their old school, there are also instructions for transferring that a student's records over to your school's account within the College Board system. The articles are republished in their entirety below.

Tip: If you are having trouble finding a transfer student's College Board SSD number, check their CA-60 to see if their old school included a copy of the accommodation approval letter, since that includes the student’s SSD number. You may also consider putting copies of those letters in your students' CA-60s since that transfers with the students and could save you (or someone else) time tracking down that record in the future.

Finally, if you have SAT or PSAT related questions, remember that College Board has a dedicated Michigan customer service line. Call 866-870-3127 (select Option 1) or email

Guidance on Extended Time

The needs a student may have on a test, such as the SAT, may differ from their needs at school. For example, the College Board Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) requires that a student must use the entire time for which they are approved and even if they are done early and are the only student testing, they cannot move to the next section. Therefore, a student who receives double time (100% extended time) to complete tests at school, may not have a positive testing experience if they use 100% extended time on the SAT. We hear from educators that this policy is frustrating. However, now that the majority of students in Michigan have taken the PSAT 8/9 or the PSAT 10, you can base future needs from what was learned from these experiences.

If in the past a student was approved for 100% extended time but finished very early, they probably shouldn’t use 100% extended time. A more positive testing experience may be to request a change so the student receives 50% extended time and extended breaks. You could also use one of the six free full-length practice tests ( and time how long it takes a student to complete the reading test, to give you a better idea of the time they actually require.

MP3 audio formats are also a popular request; however, some students simply are not comfortable using this format. To determine if MP3 audio is the best option, students can practice using materials found on the College Board SSD web page ( under After Approval→
Taking the SAT with Accommodations
. For other considerations on requesting accommodations for the SAT, read the document What to Know about College Board Accommodations for Spring SAT in Michigan on the MME web page ( What's New.

Changing Approved Accommodations

If you would like to change the accommodations that have already been approved for a student, complete the following steps:

  1. From the SSD online dashboard, locate the student’s name
  2. Click on the arrow next to “Options”
  3. Select Create Change Request
  4. Print the change request form and answer questions about the request.
  5. Fax to SSD using the fax number on the change request form.

The status of the request will change to Document Review, and the dashboard will reflect the appropriate status of the submission.

Transferring Students in SSD

If you have a new student in your school who had been approved for accommodations at their old school, you can transfer them to your SSD dashboard:

  1. Click Submit Accommodations Request in the top right corner of the dashboard. A screen titled Before You Begin will open. Read the information provided and click Continue to proceed.
  2. On the Student Details page, respond Yes to these two questions: “Has a Student Eligibility Form already been submitted for this student?” and “Is this a Transfer Student?”
  3. You will be asked for the student’s name, date of birth, and SSD Number. A student can find their SSD number in their College Board account.
  4. If the student is requesting different accommodations from those approved or is not receiving the approved accommodations at your school, new documentation is required for College Board review.

You can start requesting accommodations as soon as you have an AI code and have established an SSD coordinator. If you are requesting state-allowed accommodations, you can apply for these starting in January. Because state-allowed accommodations are not college or scholarship reportable scores, they are automatically approved and require no documentation.