#MASSPchat 12/19 - The Holiday Season (Take Care of Yourself!)
School administrators have incredibly challenging jobs and every year around this time, I start to think about how nice it will be to celebrate Christmas and take time to be with family and rejuvenate. I hope that you will all have the opportunity to take advantage of some much needed rest over the next few weeks. It not only healthy to take breaks, but it is also healthy to think about how administrators take care of themselves during the school year. Administrators notoriously look out for everyone else, but that can lead them to forget about looking out for themselves. If you neglect your own personal well-being and forget to maintain a sense of balance in your life, you will not be able to pour as much energy into your teachers or students. Join us for chat this week as we talk about ideas for administrators to maintain balance in their lives so that they can stay on top of their game in their jobs!
Meet Our Moderator:
Benjamin J.A. Mainka (@BenMainka) is MASSP's Associate Director. Ben began his educational career teaching science at Millennium Middle School in South Lyon, MI and coached three varsity sports. He went on to become the Assistant Principal at Fowlerville High School in Fowlerville, MI. After serving in that capacity, Ben took on the challenge of being the Fowlerville Junior High Principal before heading to Hartland High School where he served as the Principal prior to joining MASSP. Ben has spoken at numerous conferences and venues, written a handful of popular articles, and continues to be a huge advocate for education in our state.
This Week's Questions:
- How do you decompress and build time for you personally during the regular day to day grind?
- How do you start your day to maximize your energy throughout the entirety of the day?
- Do you have any routines or safeguards in place to “protect” your time? What reasonable boundaries are in place?
- What are some fun Christmas or holiday traditions that you look forward to over the break that are unrelated to work?
- How do you encourage your staff to take time for themselves as well?