#MASSPchat 2/13 - Common Hot Topics for Administrators
There is a consortium of Principals that meet quarterly at the Okemos Administration building. The agenda is driven by a simple list generated on a white board as the participants arrive. I always enjoy popping into their meetings and seeing what is on their minds. Tonight's chat topics are generated based on the list of things I've seen them discuss the last few meetings - they are items that are common hot topics for all Principals!
Meet Our Moderator:
Wendy Zdeb (@massp) became MASSP's Executive Director of MASSP on January 1, 2012. Wendy began her career in education as a teacher at Warren, Fitzgerald High School where she taught English and coached three varsity sports. She then went on to become the Assistant Principal and Athletic Director at St. Clair High School in the East China School District. After three years as an Assistant Principal, Wendy was ready to seek a new challenge and she found it as the Principal at Rochester High School where she worked for seven years. Wendy holds a bachelor's degree in English and History from Western Michigan University and her Master's in Ed Leadership and Education Specialist degrees are both from Saginaw Valley State University.
This Week's Questions:
- What is your "dress code" for commencement? Specifically, I am wondering if your students wear medals, cords, etc provided by the school?
- What procedures and policies do you have in place for evaluating/accepting potential exchange students?
- Does your school have attendance policy incentives? If so, what is working?
- Is your school using restorative justice practices? How is this impacting suspension rates?
- Does your school have an academic integrity policy? What issues have come up w/ this?
- What is your counselor/student ratio? How are counselor responsibilities divided?