Targeted Feedback Institute
This two-day institute supports principals, teachers and central office leaders in learning the skills for giving feedback and creating a culture that results in effective teacher evaluations centered on growth of teacher practice and improvement of student learning. Participants will learn how to develop feedback that responds to a teacher’s identified learning needs/goals.
The Targeted Feedback Institute supports principals, teachers and central office leaders in learning the skills for giving feedback and creating a culture that centers on growth of teacher practice and improvement of student learning. Participants learn how to develop feedback that responds to a teacher’s identified learning needs/goals. They will also learn how targeted feedback is one of many supports principals can provide their teachers within each inquiry cycle.
Principals, teachers and a central office leader who supervises principals should attend the institute as a team. The institute requires that participants use a research-based instructional framework to inform the observation and feedback process. The process itself can be used with any instructional framework, including CEL’s 5 Dimensions of Teaching and Learning™, Danielson’s Framework for Teaching, Marshall's Teacher Evaluation Rubric, Marzano’s Art and Science of Teaching Framework, and the Thoughtful Classroom Teacher Effectiveness Framework.
- How do we use observations and feedback to change our practice?
- How do practitioners use a cycle of inquiry to foster teacher growth?
- How do we shift a culture to ongoing support for teacher learning?
Day 1 – 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Foundations of a Strengths-based Observation Process
- The Role of an Instructional Framework in Observation and Feedback
- Determining an Area of Focus
- Formative Feedback Cycles
- Targeted Feedback Cycles: Types of Conversations
Day 2 – 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Targeted Feedback Cycles: Check-in, Pre-inquiry Cycle, Post-inquiry Cycle, Next Steps
- Targeted Feedback: Planning a Feedback Conversation
- Targeted Feedback Cycles: Reflection Conversations
- Targeted Feedback: Practice
- Targeted Feedback Cycles: Scheduling